We are committed to minimising our impact on the environment through a company-wide programme which includes appropriate targets, operational procedures and measures to recycle products and resources where possible.
Our approach to the environment is based on the following principles:
- To identify the effects our activities have on the environment.
- To minimise the use of utilities and resources as well as our outputs of emissions to the atmosphere, effluents to water and sewers and wastes to disposal facilities through effective systems of reduction, re-use and recycling where appropriate.
- To, where practicable, purchase products, services and resources from local suppliers in order to reduce the environmental impacts of transportation.
- To effectively communicate our environmental policy both internally and externally and to respond to comments and enquiries from interested parties where appropriate.
- To ensure that environmental responsibilities are clearly defined, communicated and understood at all levels of the organisation, providing appropriate training where necessary.
- To communicate our environmental policy to suppliers and contractors, when doing so will contribute to the minimisation of our environmental impacts.
- To strive for continual improvement in our environmental performance, with effective procedures in place to monitor progress and development and, where necessary, the review and amendment of our environmental policy, targets, objectives and practices.
Below are some of the recent initiatives introduced to help reduce, reuse or recycle whilst protecting a high standard of service to guests.
- Our hotels have replaced single-use plastic bottled water with water stations and carafes for guest use
- Plastic straws have been replaced with paper straws in all our managed properties
- Our electricity is all generated from renewable sources and the LED lighting uses 80% less energy.
- Motion activated lights in appropriate public areas
- Dual flush toilets fitted in all new developments and as rooms are refurbished
- Low energy light bulbs
- Energy efficient windows to reduce the need for heating in winter and air-conditioning in summer
- PC monitors/TV’s/photocopiers/lights turned off as a standard when not in use
- Building management systems to control temperatures throughout the hotel
- Environmentally friendly cleaning products used where possible
- The use of solar panels to support conventional hot water heating boilers.
- Aerated shower heads to reduce water consumption whilst protecting shower pressure
- We recycle all of our waste – and encourage our guests to do the same with segmented bins in guest rooms.
- We don’t use waste disposals which block drains – food waste goes to anaerobic digesters and oil for recycling.
- Compact waste so less collections are required
- Seek recycled goods when purchasing
- Recycle print toners
- Requesting re-usable delivery containers from suppliers.